Comprehensive Complimentary Services Offered to Anyone Affected by Cancer
ATLANTA (Oct. 7, 2009) – Cancer Wellness at Piedmont offers comprehensive services and programs for anyone affected by cancer at any phase in his or her journey. All programs take place at Cancer Wellness at Piedmont, located in the Piedmont Hospital Cancer Center at Piedmont West Medical Office Park, 1800 Howell Mill Road, Suite 700, Atlanta, GA 30318. For more information please visit piedmontcancerconnection.org or, to make a reservation for one of the classes listed below, call 404-425-7944, and please indicate which classes you plan to attend.
Classes offered every month include:
Cancer Wellfit©, Gentle Yoga, Art Therapy, Guided Imagery and Relaxation for Optimal Health, Mindfulness Training 101 & 201, Breast Cancer Support, Gynecological Cancer Support, and A Guy’s Group.
Some special events for October:
- Healing Power of Touch – Part one of a three part series: Learn how you can make a difference with touch. Join Julie Mills as she shows simple techniques to help relieve stress and comfort a loved one in pain. Monday, Oct. 12, from 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- Understanding Clinical Trials – Come participate in a Q&A with clinical research coordinator and certified rehabilitation and oncology nurse Franca Cenciarelli. Learn how clinical trials work and what procedures are required to participate in one. Tuesday, Oct. 27 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. (lunch provided)
- A Day with Clay: An Exercise in “Handling” Things - No other art material deals as directly with our hands as work with clay. Join certified art therapist Edna Bacon as she shows you how clay can be manipulated into objects which can hold healing energy. Wednesday, Oct. 28, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Chemo Chic – Sponsored by the Georgia Cancer Foundation, Rudi Caruthers will lead you through this interactive empowerment class for women undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. Support persons are welcome to attend. Thursday, Oct. 22, from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Cooking with Fresh Herbs – Learn how to grow and cook with fresh herbs from Chef Hans Rueffert and Cancer Wellness’ registered dietician Shayna Komar. They will educate and nourish you with great flavors and the nutritious benefits of these home-grown friends. Thursday, Oct. 22, from noon to 2 p.m.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Cancer Wellness at Piedmont will also be offering the following special events and classes for Breast Cancer survivors and patients during October:
- Celebrating You: Tea for Two! A Special Afternoon Event for Breast Cancer Survivors - This is your chance to put your “style” on with that wonderful hat you bought - and always wanted to share. Prizes will be awarded for the best three hats of the afternoon, along with the opportunity to meet new friends and catch up with the old ones. Chef Nancy Waldeck will prepare fabulous finger foods partnered with tempting tiny desserts and everyone will enjoy an afternoon celebrating you! Space is limited, so RSVP early. Dress: High tea attire and hats. Saturday, Oct. 10, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Casting for Confidence: Introducing the Sport of Fly Fishing to Breast Cancer Survivors – Breast cancer survivors can enjoy a day in north Georgia learning about and experiencing fly fishing. Saturday, Oct. 17, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Frog Hollow, a privately-owned section of the Chestatee River near Cleveland and Dahlonega, Ga.
- Storycorps Door-to-Door Recording Day - There will be a door-to-door recording day at Cancer Wellness at Piedmont for six participants and their guests. Kathy Nunnally Anemogiannis, founder of StoryCorps Atlanta, says that recording a story with StoryCorps honors the person whose story we treasure, and it assures their stories will be heard by future generations (as the U.S. Library of Congress is the repository for these recordings). Selected stories are played on NPR (WABE) every Friday. To learn more about StoryCorps, please visit www.storycorps.net. If interested in scheduling a 45-minute interview free of charge on Friday, Oct. 30, please call 404-425-7940.
For more information and a full list of classes please visit the complete calendar.